I am currently working on a UI design to show charts. I have multiple charts throughout the application. Each charts should further drill down to show details.
Currently I have two approaches.
Approach 1: Showing multiple charts in a single screen.
- Can see data for multiple entities.
- See charts side-by-side giving an idea about each other, if compared.
- If each chart uses one round trip to the server to fetch data, there would be multiple requests hitting the server for loading one page.
- The design would be a bit clumsy and re-sizing it would be an issue. If the resolution decreases, it would be hard to show data for the charts.
- A lot of information will be thrown in a single view.
Approach 2: Showing them in group with one chart and a details section in one group. Each menu item will represent one group.
- The user will see what the user wants when the user wants.
- Details be shown with the charts allowing the user to see both together.
- In terms of writing HTML code, the main HTML can act as a frame and the charts will be loaded in that.
- Increases the navigation.
- All charts might not fit in that aspect.
- User will see only one chart at a time.
- Horizontal navigation can become a problem.
I am a bit confused about which approach to follow or should I be looking for a completely new design. Any help would be great!!