I need to conduct interviews with a target user group, before starting development. I need to do both:
- Contextual inquiries for a technical installation (heatpump)
- Regular interview, where there is no need to be in any specific place
Though the latter can happen in any location and any setting, common sense tells me that the setting means a lot.
- I visited the interviewee on a Sunday afternoon. I assume people are least tired and have the most time, compared to other times during the week.
- We did it in the living room, with nobody there, instead of the kitchen where the family was passing through.
- We sat at a table. More relaxed and homely.
- Had a cup of coffee. More relaxed and homely.
My question is two-fold:
- What are some recommendations, considerations and discussions about the setting of an interview?
- Since I am writing my thesis, and need to argue for these choices, I would greatly appreciate a source for this, preferably a scientific article