Hello, guys! My colleagues and I had a very heated discussion over those options of how a user can tune settings in our web-application.
A little bit of context: we build a system for professionals who use our application on regular basis but this particular setting is only tuned once in 95% of use-cases.
Here is the link to try the options by yourself: https://vfjt4m.csb.app/
Our collective pros and cons:
Left option (mutually exclusive checkboxes aka cheraboxes):
- Close to text
- Looks minimalistic
- Looks like other checkboxes
- Looks vivid, easier to scan
- WTF? Is this even a checkbox? Why does it behave like a radio?
Right option (aka pills)
- Familiar to user, seen on many sites
- Predictable behaviour
- You always see what you click
- Just works
- Might look piled up
Please give any feedback on using those two. It is very welcome.