I've come across a few loosely related questions on UX stack exchange, but nothing quite like my scenario. I'm building a mobile phone app that allows one segment of our users fill out surveys that have been made by another segment of our user base. The following parameters apply:
- Users can create surveys of any size
- On average, these surveys are ~37 questions long
- ~90% of surveys are between 2 and 97 questions
- The most commonly used question type is a likert scale
- Question text length is all over the place and commonly very long
- Questions are not 'grouped' together in any explicit fashion.
With all this in mind, how best would you display the questions on a survey to those filling them out on a mobile device (just smartphones)? One at a time? All at once? Other?