I'm working on this UI element to replace the dropdown and multiple select UI rendered by browsers for the
select HTML tag. I would like to show a list of options where users can click on each option to select/unselect it. Depending on the presence of
multiple attribute, users should be able to select one or more items from this list of options. What is the name of such an UI element?
These are the goals I'm trying to achieve:
- Should be able to see all the options, hence dropdown is not desirable
- Should let users select one or multiple options
- Selected option(s) should be highlighted
- Should see the options inlined, similar to when
display: inline-blockis set.
- Should not present the options in a grid because the option names can be of varying length