In a list mode, I have a description column. Each record can contain a lot of text for this description field. Even if it is considered secondary information by the user, I still need to display it.
To avoid having line heights that are different in sizes, I force ellipsis on the first line. When the user clicks/hover/touch the ellipsis:
- option 1: the user clicks on the ellipsis, it will open a pop-up to show to complete sentence.
- option 2: the user hovers on the ellipsis to display an info tooltip.
- option 3: expand the size of the input field so that it either becomes wide enough to show all text or becomes a text area that reveals all text.
The questions I have are:
- Do a long description must be on one or two lines?
- What should be the UX to see all the text without losing the context?
What would you recommend?