This is a problem I see routinely "solved" in different ways but have yet to see it solved well anywhere, so I'm appealing to the community for a best practice (or what others have found works).
When trying to register a domain, there are a growing number of potential top-level domains (TLDs). What is the best way to represent this to the user? Potential solutions I've seen, with some possible pitfalls:
- input field
- user has to already know the TLD they want (and type it correctly)
- An infinitely long select menu
- too many items options in the list
- autocomplete-ish select menu
- same as above, and only useful if the user knows which tld they're looking for (not friendly for discoverability)
- trying to bucket the TLDs into "line of business" categories, and then implementing one of the above
- makes the user jump through an additional hoop which may or may not match the categorizer's mental model for to structure the TLDs
If there are hundreds of possible TLDs, what is the best way to let the user choose one when they may not know exactly which one they want?