We are implementing a e-commerce shop-front but we have an design challenge around which currency to show by default and how to get the user to tell us which country (currency) they want to see.
- The e-commerce system we're using is very capable (Enterprise grade) and can deal with multiple prices and currencies per product...
- ...but can only show one currency at a time (i.e. on page load).
- Our customers will be coming from one of two countries, but for most of them we won't know which country they want to see when they first load in - therefore we won't know which currency we should show them.
- Not all products are available in both countries, so a consideration is not wanting to show product-currency combinations that don't really exist.
- Splash-screen - force the user to choose before we show any products at all.
- Choose a default currency, allow users to change their selection if necessary.
Is the first solution worth pursuing at all? If so what guidance can you offer about how to approach it? We discussed the idea in a workshop and it sounded viable, but when we look at a wire-frame our vendor has provided the whole idea just seems a little flawed.