Like many, I am required to change my password periodically. When it is about to expire, I am notified on the logon screen (I connect via VPN), but this notification begins two weeks (14 days) before my password will expire. Additionally, this notification consists of: "Your password will expire in nnn days. Click here to continue".
I find this somewhat intrusive, especially the "click here to continue". Is there a reason for this that I am not considering? Why is notification required at all other than after my password has actually expired?
Based on the responses so far, it seems like a clarification is in order.
- This is a system logon, not to a particular application, although the more I think about it, the less important that distinction becomes
- My passwords expire after 90 days. After expiration, I cannot log on until I create a new password (which also requires entry of the "old" expired password).
- There is no difference in creating a new password beforehand or after the password has expired.
- Between days 74 - 90, I cannot log on until I click the link.
- The "link" does not bring me to a page where I can change my password. It seems to be just a confirmation that I have seen the particular message.