I have been asked to come up with a solution for displaying 50+ columns that were previously viewed in excel and now need to be brought to the desktop application UI. Mobile version is out of scope.
Consider the following:
- Identify the columns that would likely to show first
- Add big arrow at the right page (center of the page not at the bottom corner) '>', when user clicks - show remained columns
- Freeze 1st or few left columns to get connect information with other columns when user click '>'
- Add link / button at the bottom of the cell text if you find too much content not to be shown at first. By clicking the link / button can expand to reveal the remaining content of the cell.
- Include truncated text if its understandable to reduce space
- Keep in mind that, clicking big '>' should not be replaced the page, it should just replace the table content
- Make sure, user will never lose the connectivity / continuity between the columns