I'm creating a site where a user has to perform several tasks on his own. The theme lies close to a market place site where a user puts something online for sale.
- Think about uploading images,
- Writing a piece of text,
- Filling in several information fields,
- Make some choices that influence further behavior (e.g. hire a photographer of copywriter or they tell to do those tasks their self)
- Some more stuff as well which include a few processes they have to follow in order to verify several types of data.
I've been Googling on 'dashboard design', 'todo design' and terms like that but I haven't seen anything that looks:
- Intuitive (some users may get overwhelmed by the tasks they have to do or choices they have to make, and ofcourse I don't want to scare away users under any circumstance)
- Clean and ordened, looking like it's all a natural process
The three approaches described below came to my mind.
Kanban like solution I've come across things like a Kanban board but that would also require the user to explicitly set a statusses like 'Todo', 'In progress', 'Waiting for response', 'Verifying' and 'Done'. So I'm not sure if this would be a practical approach due to the extra required activities a user has to complete.
Tabbed interface While a tabbed interface seems logical because everything is there at once and a user completes as much fields as he feels like doing. But I personally think tabbed interfaces are a bit user unfriendly when it comes to input validation upon posting the data.
Table list with tasks This seems to me the most practical approach because the user can take it one step at a time but at the same time it's utterly boring to see another table and also it might seem a bit unclear what I'm expecting from the user. Of course other parts of the web application are using tabled lists as well and they all give access to a specific resource, rather than complete partial tasks for a resource.
I'm looking forward to your thoughts, argumentation and preferably some interesting reads I must have seen before proceeding.