I've read a lot that for a frequent-use app it's better to use click-activated (as opposed to hover-activated) drop-down menus. In my case, a drop-down menu is a good solution as it's not used for navigation.
My question is, if my drop-down menu is activated on click, and I want to allow multiple selections, how should the menu be closed?
The options I considered:
- On selection - doesn't work in my case as I need the menu to persist to allow for multiple selections
- On mouse out - but wouldn't that be inconsistent if it's activated on click and deactivated on "the other end of hover action"?
- On mouse out with time delay
- On clicking on the menu again - seems consistent, but might be considered a bit arduous; it's like having an "OK" button to "submit and close" which I'd like to avoid
- Clicking outside of the menu - always seemed odd to me to force a user to look for some white space on the page to click on in order to avoid other (potentially clickable) content
Perhaps there are more/better options?