Google recently updated its login page, such that they now ask for the username and the password on separate pages. This makes things easier because then I just type in the username, hit enter, then type the password. For novice users (who are not fans of tabbing) this is definitely more usable.

Login form on Google

I also came across this company that uses this concept to incrementally fill forms, questionnaires, etc.. This is a link to the website: http://www.typeform.com/examples/#Forms

I want to do some research to see if there has been studies on how users perceive these types of forms compared to standard ones. But I am missing the right keywords.. Is there a certain term to describe this type of forms?

  • I think this is actually just a wizard type of form. That is at least what I would start searching with.
    – Andy J
    Nov 4, 2015 at 21:16

1 Answer 1


This is a regular wizard just applied to login screens.

I think it's to make development easier and more "dynamic".

  • if username is stored in cookies then just show password
  • if multiple usernames are stored cookies then show the list
  • if from a different computer/region/country etc ask extra questions, etc etc

This can also be their way of stopping auto login from scripts/bots.

Hope this helps.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.