I have a content heavy website. In a particular page there will be lot of data to be presented to the user.
There are two options.
Just present the data grouped properly with proper heading and separation.
- Higher visibilty
- No data is hidden
- User tend to scroll these days
- Uncertainty - since the user doesn't know how much data is there.
- Amount of data can be very large at times making scrolling boring and tiresome
- Harder to find one particular data ( fix - separate sub navigation must be provided for this which is another overhead and takes up space )
Present the grouped data in form of Tabs
- Certainty - User will know how much data is there
- No need to scroll , All the data can be accommodated inside two folds at most.
- Proper grouping and hierarchy - with easiness to find one particular group of data
- Contents may be hidden inside tabs ( User with no prior knowledge may skip the tabs )
Which is a better UX principle in case of in a data intense website ?
Are there any research done on this topic ? Any A/B test results ? Any useful insights is appreciated.