This is the original switcher, I think you've all seen how it works.

enter image description here

I'd like to use (or implement) a widget with interaction similar to this app switcher (especially the scrolling), but in my app it would show user reviews instead of apps, and user avatars instead of app icons. Is there any name for this type of component, so that I could ask Google for it?

2 Answers 2


You might look for PageViewController, Cover Flow, Carousel, etc. There is no built in component for doing this that I'm aware of.

You could roll your own, with enough time and effort, or maybe look into one of these libraries:

  • SCSafariPageController (component for pages like tabs in safari)
  • iCarousel for iOS (a Objective-C component with various types of carousels like cover flow, etc)
  • Jazz Hands (a keyframe-based animation framework for UIKit, where it is possible to control the animation via scrolling)
  • The developer behind iCarousel also maintains SwipeView, which is similar to iCarousel, but foregoes all of the animation options to feel more like a standard paged UIScrollView. Commented Oct 9, 2015 at 15:31

multitasking UI

Multitasking lets people switch quickly among recently used apps. In iOS 9 (on eligible iPad models) people can use the multitasking UI view more than one app onscreen.

source: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/Multitasking.html

  • I was asking about the interaction, not about the task the user accomplishes through it. iOS design changes and the interaction is also different. "Multitasking UI" is imho as good as "app switcher", and does not answer my question.
    – mik01aj
    Commented Oct 8, 2015 at 11:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.