I'm looking to design a section of the UI which will list phone numbers, and:
- Either list the phone numbers as non-interactive if a user cannot make a call, or as interactive if they can. (ie traditional phone vs traditional tablet, but I'm aware exceptions to this rule are becoming more commonplace)
- Be used on both tablet and phone,
- Not require the native device UI and popups due to requirements
As the user may be unable to call due to:
- Lack of sim
- Airplane mode
- No signal
...is there a traditional method for displaying "Can make a call" vs "Cannot make a call"? Should I just always allow the user to progress to the dialer and let that handle the problem? Or should the phone numbers gray out if there is no signal or a lack of sim?
[Added later] Just to clarify:
- It is not a webpage, it is an installed app (if that makes a difference).
- It may occur on tablet devices which do not have a dialer, but may have apps such as Skype which allow dialing even if there is no phone signal.