In our software users have to deal with lots of nested tabs and floated panels.
I was wondering it could help the user to understand and keeping track of the underlying data structure.
That are ways I can think of only right now:
- different border colors or similar (horrible), or better:
- unique geometries along the group's edges (not inner view edges)
- additional hover style state to highlight the entire group
- additional visualizations of the group in breadcrumbs, or navigation paths
- if it makes sense, display views along a spiral just to display the datas hierarchy
- additional visualizations in all action renderers(top menu, context menu, ribbons, local toolbars,....). especially if you display permanent actions for different view sources
- in a layout suggester (presets), groups will be also prefered