I see more and more of these.

Use case: You're reading an article on some news web site and after a while, when you're half way through, a popup gets in the way proposing to subscribe to some marketing offer.

I guess there is a technical term for this; what is it?

  • 11
    I believe the technical term is "annoying popup that always get in my way ads". Also known as "where's the X button ads"? Commented Aug 4, 2015 at 5:58
  • @BartGijssens, lol. The ones that don't have an X button you can get rid of with firebug or the equiv dev tools. Or some URL tweak (e.g. for quora adding ?share=1). Commented Aug 4, 2015 at 7:00
  • @BartGijssens That was exactly what I was going to comment. Commented Aug 4, 2015 at 13:27

4 Answers 4




in this case they are either timed or triggered by an action by the user, such as scrolling or trying to close the page


You can call it pop-up windows. A pop-up window is a type of window that opens without the user selecting "New Window" from a program's File menu.

Pop-up windows are often generated by websites that include pop-up advertisements. These ads are produced with JavaScript code that is inserted into the HTML of a Web page. They typically appear when a user visits a page or closes a window.


Technically they are "lightboxes", not model windows because that is a different thing in javascript, but you're looking for a conceptual name, which I don't believe I heard before, I use the term "late lightbox" or "auto lightbox" to indicate that it is not user initiated.


I really needed a word for this so I coined one. I'll call that stuff a nag-up.

  • @From Review. This does provides an answer to [my] question. That's at least as I see it - as the OP :). Commented Jan 11, 2017 at 12:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.