Preface: My issues with modern select bars
- When you mousewheel up/down, it's possible that you will skip over elements at the "borders" and will completely miss what you're looking for without having to manually adjust the select bar by clicking on the slider manually.
- Requires at minimum (2) actions to find what you're looking for (not counting cursor movement) to navigate up/down: 1) Click to select the bar 2) Nav up/down via scroll wheel; or via touchpad gestures; or via manually dragging the slider
A new approach: Check out the select bar at http://www.pullandbear.com/inditex-sel/?redirect=true
- Requires (1) action to find what you're looking for (on non-touch screens): Click on select bar. The rest is just moving your mouse which is VERY easy/natural.
- The select bar automatically moves the borders as you nav to a new item.
What are the usability concerns of this? Should I just look up a library for this (anyone have any links ;)?) and use it by default from now on? I personally think this is REALLY good, and only elderly users perhaps may be confused by the change from the default.
- They do things a bit different on mobile too.. the select menu appears to expand into the page itself, letting you scroll up/down a lot faster through selection items.