More valid reason to move Left navigation, like screen resolutions sizes are increasing gradually, also to utilise more vertical space, as well as it looks like Desktop software too....
My point, why don't we use Left navigation like in web applications. Both are similar use cases, right?
Already we are using LEFT navigation for API documents, Help Documents & Knowledge base screens.
Advantages to move LHS navigation:
- We will get more vertical space for main content
- If already our web applications moved to Left navigation, it will be more useful for web sites. So that both looks similar
How to solve various resolutions using responsive design?
- LHS can be opened by default for Above 1280 resolutions
- LHS can be positioned at the top [or] closed by default for 1024-1280
- LHS options can be moved under "MENU" tab at the top like mobile website for below 1024 resolutions
Yes, some of the website using LHS navigation, but they are using "hamburger menu" to open LHS part. Why don't we show upfront LHS navigation by default. Yes visually main content should be more focused.
What is your suggestion. Is there any particular reason to avoid LHS navigation?