I'm creating a GUI for a program which maps keys from an external device to keyboard keys.
The process is:
- [Waiting for keyboard key] (Shows a blank key)
- Press a keyboard key (Now blank key has what was pressed)
- [Waiting for external key press] (Show a blank button, and that they are unlinked)
- Press an external key (Now blank button shows what was pressed)
- [Show that they are linked]
Here's the layout, showing the blank and non-blank buttons:
What I need is something for between those objects.
So, the user would see the light gray, then light gray with A and dark gray, then the bottom image.
What I want to convey is that they are unlinked in the stage where it has light gray with A, and dark gray, and that they are linked when you have the bottom image.
Even better if the "linkage" shows that the circle is connected to the square, since pressing whatever the circle corresponds to is the same as pressing whatever the square corresponds to.