This button is in the new Firefox, but what is the name of it?

Firefox combi-button

4 Answers 4


This type of button is usually called a 'Split Button'.

The glossary of the Windows User Experience Interaction Guidelines defines the term 'split button' as:

A bipartite command button that includes a small button with a downward pointing triangle on the rightmost portion of the main button. Users click the triangle to display variations of a command in a drop-down menu. See also: command button. [ http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=e49820cb-954d-45ae-9cb3-1b9e8ea7fe8c ]

MSDN's Ribbon Framework Control Library defines a 'Split Button' as:

The Split Button is a composite control with which the user can select a default value bound to a primary button, or select from a list of mutually exclusive values displayed in a drop-down list bound to a secondary button. [ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd940505(VS.85).aspx ]


Jquery UI calls it a 'Split Button' - http://jqueryui.com/demos/button/#splitbutton

Not a bad name, I would say.


They've also been called Muttons - https://web.archive.org/web/20121116015828/http://hanamidesign.com/blog/ux-pattern-mutton-menu-button/


Sorry, I don't know the formal term for this type of button but in my team we tend to refer to it as a 'multi(call-to)-action button' ... I am certain there is a better name than that however!! It is used extensively in the Apple store also, so as a consequence I suspect will be seeing them ever increasingly in the future! ;)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.