Working on a project with a quite tight schedule and a complex IA structure we decided throw great chuncks of the previous structure over board –– to break with big/great ux strategies and boil things down to the following probably a bit unorthodox approach:
- First things first – and the rest will follow.
We first identified the key functionalities / the core content types of the website. Then we built the cms, the navigation and first templates as close to the requirements (that we rendered from the key functionalities and core content types) as possible, assuring the editors will be happy and the core will get enough feed to start 'glowing'. Then we built everything else around that.
The project is still in the making, work in progress, lots of decisions and adjustments to be made on the fly – but so far everybody seems to be happy. We already know we'll have everything really important up and running in time – and everything else is just everything else.
PS: I have to admit it's not really easy to pursuade the client that this approach is the right approach – but a tight schedule and a great portion of trust helps getting things rolling.