I have a webpage with a narrow panel on the left hand side, about 33% of the page width, it contains blocks of text.

At the moment, I have a standard HTML button which expands the panel to fill the screen, and clicking the same button again, collapses it.

I want to swap this button out for a set of expand / collapse icons.

Is there a very commonly used set of horizontal expand / collapse icons?

  • Yes, it is known as the burger menu : css-tricks.com/three-line-menu-navicon – shash7 Mar 16 '15 at 10:35
  • @shash7 that's really more for opening a drop down isn't it? – Daft Mar 16 '15 at 10:39
  • 1
    Nope, search on google images for sliding menu and you will get the idea – shash7 Mar 16 '15 at 10:44
  • Just large < and > keyboard symbols. Optionally with a circle around them. Or a mathematical angle bracket 〈 〉from unicode. – paparazzo Mar 17 '15 at 11:47

You can also use Arrow-Left / Arrow- Right Icons, which usually indicates the sliding of a section towards the direction, they are pointing.

for e.g.

enter image description here

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.