Most of the Microsoft Office 2013 programs I use have a similar style UI with the 'Ribbon' at the top like this: enter image description here

I recently started using ArcGIS Pro and noticed it uses the same style UI (screenshot below), is there an industry standard term for this style of UI that I can use to describe the look to a user: enter image description here

I realize many types of software have a similar style UI but I am referring in particular to how its ribbon is almost identical to Microsoft programs.

  • 3
    You used the name twice yourself. It's called a ribbon. Microsoft's particular implementation is the Windows Ribbon Framework (Ribbons UI Guidelines).
    – Matt Obee
    Mar 9, 2015 at 15:24
  • 4
    I have some names for that interface...
    – user31143
    Mar 9, 2015 at 15:30
  • @MattObee I was just unsure if there was a more specific term for the Microsoft style ribbon +1 for the WRF link. Mar 9, 2015 at 15:38

1 Answer 1


The interface element is called a ribbon.


Since Microsoft popularized the term, the Microsoft ribbon is the canonical example of this interface type.

If you need to refer specifically to the Microsoft style of ribbon I have not heard designers use any term other than "the Office [insert specific version] ribbon". I don't think it's deserving of any more specific descriptors than that.

This is a controversial interface, to say the least.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.