You often see the following element to assign objects of a certain type to another object. We call it relationbox, but I can't find anything at all about relationboxes on the internet...
It's such a simple and well known element, there's got to be a well known name!

Here is an example (source: http://community.zimbra.com):
enter image description here


5 Answers 5


It seems to be known as Dual Listbox or Dual Multiselect.

  • The only drawback I can see with this is the name does not work well if the "available items" can be added to more than one list of "selected items" (same control as in the image, just with several "right parts" (right listbox + buttons) stacked vertically). Commented Feb 19, 2015 at 16:08

It's a List builder


enter image description here

  • … which is a special case of a Dual Listbox/Multiselect.
    – Crissov
    Commented Feb 21, 2015 at 17:03
  • 3
    The wikipedia entry says "A list builder, also known as a dual list, dual listbox, disjoint listbox, list shuttle, shuttle, swaplist and two sided multi select..". Good to know the generic term when looking for resources.
    – Fractional
    Commented Feb 24, 2015 at 12:49

We refer to it as a Swap List, specifically because there are occasional use cases where there are more than two total lists (as mentioned in the above comments). A good example of this is setting security levels for fields. Fields can be hidden, read-only, or editable.

  • Do you have any evidence to indicate the use of this term outside of your own team? The OP asks for the element's "common name," and the other answers cite sources. Commented May 23, 2015 at 3:36

A related thread on Stack Exchange offers some additional terminology for this type of pattern. There doesn't appear to be a consensus on what it's called, but I had the exact same question so I've been poking around looking for answers. The other thread has references to:

I think "Dual Listbox" and "Listbuilder", as already mentioned, will probably yield the most results when searched, but wanted to reference the other thread in case it's helpful to anyone else searching this topic.


Another term used for this is slush bucket.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.