I've been trying to recreate this sort of component in JavaFX for a while. The thing is, it looks like a ListBox yet each item functions like a tab. In web design, I'd simply call this a "navigation panel" or something like that.

Here's an example of it from someone's Dribbble, it's the part on the left that controls what's being shown on the right.

Example of a Dribbble user page

I've seen these types of menus in accordions and all sorts. I just don't know what to call them other than listboxes, menus etc.

So, is the real name of this component a listbox or is it something else?

  • These are called vertical tabs – user1796650 Jan 17 '15 at 16:18
  • Oh, makes sense. Thanks for the reply, @user1796650 – user61398 Jan 17 '15 at 16:31
  • @CodeMaverick - off-topic yet I still got an answer. If someone posted it as an answer, I'd accept it and move on. I did search for the best-related section of stackexchange to post this and this seemed to kind of be the best one. I couldn't find a GUI one. – user61398 Jan 17 '15 at 16:50
  • I think this may be off-topic because you are simply asking what something is called. That isn't really what this site is for. Check out on-topic for what you can ask here. – Code Maverick Jan 17 '15 at 16:55
  • Posted it as answer, so that you can move on..:) – user1796650 Jan 17 '15 at 17:04

These are called vertical tabs.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.