I need to display an action selection in every row of a grid. The action could be Do nothing, Confirm, Reject (mutually exclusive). And once all the selections were made, users are expected to hit a submit button to send the data. Which control is best for this? A dropdown and radio button comes to my mind but I do not like either solution. Dropdown is a two-click selection for every row and not very mobile friendly, radio button seems to make the page cluttered (too much repetition of the options). I was wondering if there is any other way. If no other suggestions, which one would you use? Thanks.
Case 1:- Grid with few rows (<10) Show radio buttons always instead of combo(repetition is not a big deal with few rows).
Case 2:- Grid with several rows (>10) Show radio buttons on mouseover only(to avoid repetition), otherwise by default show selected action in that column.
Combo is not a good choice for following reasons:-
- Need to click combo trigger to know all options.
- Need at least two click to select an option.
Combo's are better over radiobuttons in case where options are more than 3.
- If the number of selection options (Yes, No & Undecided) are the only ones or to the max if the options increase to 5 the following approach is feasible.
- Herein you want such a control in a grid and that too for every row wherein numerous other controls and values will be displayed.
- In such a scenario using a "Drop-down" for the same will be an ideal solution.Two click selection is not an issue
- Viewing up to 5 options in a drop-down is fine but, if it exceeds that with a great number then it may lead to an inconvenient user experience.
- So, consider the number of options you are to provide in the drop-down.
- Expecting the user to click on Submit after all selections are made is fine.