Anyway, I'm a developer by trade, but do most of my own design work. The program I'm currently developing requires that the user "configure" several directories in which several 3rd party executable files reside.
For this, I'd like a single file-upload-like component that
- is not cluttered
- is self-contained
- supports three directory selections
- supports both standard "browse" click button and drag-and-drop
two bad non-solutions I've thought of:
- wizard-like guided process
- bad because annoying and makes it impractical for updating directories if changed
- three inputs with their own "browse" button
- OK, but doesn't fulfill the drag-drop requirement
IMO, this implementation sucks, and would never deliver something I consider to be so unusable. I've included a screenshot of the cobbled-together-with-css component. Note: I know that some inconsistencies b/w help text and component exist. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on implementing this in an intuitive and attractive way?