I have found quite many discussions around country and language selection but none of them was mobile specific. So I'd like to open a new discussion around that ...
I'm currently designing a mobile site that has around 60 country versions. A country version is not only a language variant but each has individual contents.
Users will be automatically directed to a country version. Still, there will be a country switch.
I was thinking of different options but I'm not sure if I already came across a good or even optimal solution. Could you think of others?
Country list – clustered by regions Long scrolling page displaying all countries in a list grouped by 5 continents (e.g. North America, Europe) or region Middle East and Africa, Latin America and Caribbean)
- straight forward
- pure scrolling / no other interaction required
- regions offering orientation (still the user has to identify his region first)
- long list
Similar to 1. – but regions are offered as accordions Countries are clustered by region and nested in an accordion – all collapsed by default. User will only view the countries for a selected region.
- user gets a quick overview of available regions
- regions offering orientation
- users have to identify relevant region
- accordions on mobile
Long country list combined with a input field to narrow down list Country list A-Z – probably without regional clusters Additional text input on top so that the user can search for a country - list narrows down while typing.
The filter seemed helpful at first glance but the more I think about it the more I guess it would be a weird scenario on mobile
- interaction /typing required
- keyboard would hide valuable real estate - the effect of the filter probably not directly visible