I'm working on a feature for a b2b application with a the following requirements:
- A given hierarchy of 3 levels.
- Each level has the same properties.
- Each child level inherits from the parent, unless changed.
I need to provide the user with quick and easy edit access for the properties in each level.
Let's say for example that the hierarchy is as follows:
The properties might be:
- Min. drinking age
- Min. driving age
- Max. driving age
- ... and so on ...
There are 7 to 10 properties. I'm not sure how easy it will be to see it all in 1 data grid.
- The user sets all properties on Country X.
- The same properties automatically populate to child states and cities.
- A state is changed, which populates to all child cities of that state (unless that city already has overrides?).
The user can also change the values of any individual point in the hierarchy.
How can I provide users the functionality they require without sacrificing speed and simplicity of management across all levels of data?