What is the common name for this widget?

Two buttons/links, "Submit Ticket" and "Live Chat", with vertical text

  • 5
    I take it you're looking for something more specific than "tabs"?
    – Matt Obee
    Commented Sep 9, 2014 at 14:26
  • I'd call it a Side Tab - but there may be an official answer.
    – PhillipW
    Commented Sep 9, 2014 at 15:44
  • 2
    Side Tabs with Vertical Text or simply Vertical Tabs Commented Sep 9, 2014 at 16:09
  • 3
    This question appears to be off-topic because it can be answered within seconds using any search engine. Commented Sep 9, 2014 at 18:38
  • 2
    Yes, any question that can be answered quickly should not be asked here, this place is too good for that kind of question. Then again, most questions on this site can be answered quickly with a simple google search, why are people coming here? Commented Sep 9, 2014 at 20:09

2 Answers 2


They are called Vertical Tabs




  • I'd call them vertical tabs as well, but your reference is clearly depicting something else...
    – Jonathan
    Commented Sep 9, 2014 at 17:08
  • they are vertical tabs, just because they are not the same shape, doesn't mean they are not the same thing. Commented Sep 9, 2014 at 17:12

I tend to call them flush (right|left) tabs to imply that they normally exist outside the normal flow of the layout. But that's just a convention. Just saying vertical tabs tends to imply that they are part of the normal layout.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.