I came across this character in a work-related document and I cannot understand what it is supposed to signify or even which language it is from. It is used in a grid and I am not sure if the presence of this character against a particular row is supposed to signify a positive or negative annotation.

Here it is again. Take a good look and please tell me what this is.


Here's what I am seeing. screenshot_question

closed as off-topic by AndroidHustle, Graham Herrli, Matt Obee, Evil Closet Monkey, JonW Sep 9 '14 at 15:25

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions about Implementation are off-topic because this site is for User Experience design questions, not questions around how to implement these designs. Therefore, questions around the use of programs like Photoshop or languages such as CSS or JavaScript are off topic." – AndroidHustle, Graham Herrli, Matt Obee, Evil Closet Monkey, JonW
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Voting to close. Questions about implementation are off-topic on this site. – Graham Herrli Sep 9 '14 at 13:54
  • Is the character that you refer to a square? Or is it something else and it just looks like a square on this site because of rendering issues? Can you link to a screenshot of the character? – Vitaly Mijiritsky Sep 9 '14 at 14:15
  • @VitalyMijiritsky Yes it is a square. If you inspect the HTML is it a square. If you copy paste into notepad it is a square. – paparazzo Sep 9 '14 at 14:31
  • 1
    @Blam Well, naturally it's a square here because it was recognized by the SE input mechanism as a square, and that's the only way SE can display it now. The question is whether it's what the OP really sees in his document (probably yes, but it can be amusing if it isn't). – Vitaly Mijiritsky Sep 9 '14 at 14:35
  • @VitalyMijiritsky If OP was seeing something different in the document I would think he/she would have mentioned it. But it is worth asking. I get a square in notepad and copied it into my answer. I have never had SE not render UNICODE as UNICODE. – paparazzo Sep 9 '14 at 14:43

It is a square
It is unicode \uf050
Unicode Converter

Some times that is the substitute character for character not found.
For example you are using ASCII.

  • 1
    Please see my update – CodeNewbie Sep 10 '14 at 9:16

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.