I do work on a corporate Website which displays information to users as a Marketing tool.
The issue is that we are an educational institution and sometimes need to display certain information. This makes the site a little bit bloated. E.g.:
- A Domestic Student does not care or need to know International Student fees
- An Undergraduate Student does not want to see Postgraduate Course fees
I had this brilliant (albeit unoriginal) thought to have a quick pop-up dialog, where the user can set what they're looking for, and have the site tailored to their needs. E.g.:
- I am a High-school student --> Will only be interested in Undergrad stuff (no post-grad)
- I am Domestic --> So not interested in International fees
Will this make the site more usable/user-friendly?
My main concern is that this "extra-step" to set all these settings might be distracting for a user1.
1. My initial thought would be that obviously, this would be an 'opt-in' feature - so the user doesn't have to set this every time they use the site.