There's a text-dragging UI component I want to use, which can be seen in detail here (drag the cookies!).

This is a pretty common idea, and is used a lot in native production applications. I would just make it, but there's probably a thousand JS libraries for one.

My problem, is I don't know the standard name for it! Any search for text sliders or text scrolling leads to other types of UI components.

What do you call this thing?

  • 5
    To be honest I've never seen that anywhere until now and I don't if it's just me but it works horrible on a mobile device. Commented Sep 1, 2014 at 5:36
  • True that, but the application I intend it for does not have to be mobile-responsive.
    – dthree
    Commented Sep 1, 2014 at 5:48
  • Maybe Swipe(able) Input Control? Haven't seen this before either..
    – Vince C
    Commented Sep 1, 2014 at 10:01
  • Even on a desktop, I don't think its behaviour is obvious. It's affordable leads us to expec it's a link, when in reality it behaves as either a numerical stepper or a drop-down box. I know those two components are probably clunkier than what you want, but at least it provides immediately recognizable cues as to what is modifiable and how it works. Commented Sep 1, 2014 at 13:12
  • True. It only like is because, when you do understand it, it makes for fast changes in context, which is what I am looking for. This is for a Single Page App where users are few and trained on it. But maybe it should borrow a different color than a hyperlink, such as orange or something.
    – dthree
    Commented Sep 1, 2014 at 16:49

1 Answer 1


NumericBox control is it called in Windows, although the visual is really a box, but the swipe interaction is part of that control.

Source: http://www.telerik.com/windows-8/numeric-textbox-html

Where might make sense to search: Autodesk uses these swipe/scroll sensitive controls and they use Vault API and DevExpress frameworks for their UI.

  • based on that link I guess you could call the control a 'numeric input' but the actual gesture/action could be called 'Swipe to Increment'
    – Dave Haigh
    Commented Sep 1, 2014 at 8:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.