What's the name of this pattern?

I have two lists side by side. The list on the left has all the possible options. The list on the right contains the selected options. There is a button like "add" or ">>" that copies the selected items on the left to the right side box. There is also a "<<" or "delete" button that removes the selected items on the right.

The >> button does not add duplicate items on the right hand side. That is, if a list item U is already in the right side (selected), hitting ">>" will not copy it over again.

What's this pattern called and is there a jquery plugin for it that runs on Iphones or Ipads?

  • Sounds like your question is very similar to this one.
    – Kit Grose
    Commented Aug 7, 2014 at 2:19

2 Answers 2


You can call it as Drag & Drop functionality.

However, this is more towards the functionality question than the ux related. Since you have asked that your requirement is for mobile then am not sure in what scenario you need such functionality. So, lets explore these few examples and let us know, is that what you are looking or something different.

Few examples;

  1. http://www.akchauhan.com/select-content-from-one-list-to-another-using-jquery/

  2. Try this jsfiddle

  • JaganJ - exactly what I needed. A million votes up to you. :) I'd buy you a beer if I could. You saved me so much trouble.
    – Padraig
    Commented Aug 7, 2014 at 3:27
  • 1
    I really don't think that the involvement of buttons can qualify for "drag & drop", or that "drag & drop" is an interaction technique limited to this "pattern"/widget... Commented Aug 7, 2014 at 9:41
  • @sidnioulz - I was considering that OP question on - mobile and tablet plugin where Button interaction is NOT necessary. However, if you see any cloud based file sharing apps on tablet these kind of functionality exists. It depends on the scenario and apps you can call this pattern as listbuilder or any other name.
    – JaganJ
    Commented Aug 7, 2014 at 13:26

I've seen it called a List Builder

A list builder

This question I think is a duplicate of this question

I wouldn't call it a "design pattern", but a commonly used interface element.

  • A design pattern is just an abstraction of commonly used elements.
    – edeverett
    Commented Aug 7, 2014 at 10:12

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.