I am trying to come up with a standard to be included in a style guide for a software application. One of the difficulties with the guide is around documenting states/status that seem to have a standard icon/symbol but no colours, or ones that have standard colours but no icon/symbol.
Is there any list or standard for the most common states that objects share in software applications? The ones that I think are probably shared and can be clearly defined are:
- New (something that is newly created or added, as opposed to an existing item)
- Removed (something that is deleted or removed, but can be undone or restored)
- Done/Finished/Success (something that has an action applied without any errors)
- On/Active/Working (something that can be switched on/off)
- Mandatory/Required - this is the only one that I can think of that there is a semi-standard of a red '*' symbol
- Optional/Not required (something that can be ignored without major consequences)