Is there a common name or plugin for the function when a thumbnail gets resized to a bigger image and spreads the surrounding text?

It is similar to a modal view, but imho more user friendly.

Example (click the image showing the cockpit view)

Example before clicking: enter image description here

Example after clicking: enter image description here

  • I'd say this is sort of like a non-conventional Accordion? jqueryui.com/accordion
    – Ben Brocka
    Commented Jul 16, 2014 at 13:09
  • @BenBrocka not really. Technically the image gets replaces (and zoomed). Accordion shows content below the heading (or in my case the thumbnail)
    – klml
    Commented Jul 16, 2014 at 13:36
  • Ohhh you mean the big image not the little ones. Huh. Not really sure there's a word for it other than zooming
    – Ben Brocka
    Commented Jul 16, 2014 at 13:38

3 Answers 3


I haven't seen a compact name for the interaction. You see this very often on design portfolios.

Here's two plugins

Thumbnail grid with Expanding preview: http://tympanus.net/codrops/2013/03/19/thumbnail-grid-with-expanding-preview/

Portfolio content expander: http://codecanyon.net/item/colio-jquery-portfolio-content-expander-plugin/6507310


In typography, big starting letters dropping over a few lines are called "drop caps" (see http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/drop_cap).

enter image description here

The idea is similar with small pictures featured at the beginning of an article.

Since yours are zoomable, they could be called "zoomable drop pics".

  • Great idea. If I will create a framework, I will name it so;) But atm I search for some exiting framework or common naming.
    – klml
    Commented Jul 16, 2014 at 19:27

Just for the record. My own inital functional approach: imgspread (demo)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.