Does anyone know what the proper term is for this incremental counter thing?

BONUS: Is there a definitive guide you use to classify these elements? Thanks! enter image description here

  • According to the StackExchange Tour guide, this is the Voting UI.
    – Agnes
    Jun 16, 2014 at 15:42
  • 2
    If you are calling out the specific element from StackExchange, @Agnes points out what they call it. In more general terms, it could be seen as an over sized "Stepper" or "Spinner" or control. Jun 16, 2014 at 16:11

1 Answer 1


It's a sub-traditional object - often tied in with a drop-down menu or a hidden dropdown. As far as I've experienced, it's called a Picker or a Picker Control. I've seen it more commonly used in date pickers

See: (Android) http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/controls/pickers.html

(Microsoft Desktop)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb761726(v=vs.85).aspx

(iOS - both Date Picker and individual Picker)https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/userexperience/conceptual/mobilehig/Controls.html

  • 2
    User is not really picking anything here, so calling it a picker or picker control is incorrect in my opinion. Jun 16, 2014 at 21:15
  • For this website's practical application of it, I agree - but out of this particular context, I would still call the control a "Picker". You could technically (yes, splitting hairs here) say that you are picking whether you like or dislike something and the developers only gave you two choices. When I am talking about controls I assume that I'm also going to be talking with individuals who may be implementing said control - if that were the case, most likely they'll know how to implement without thinking about it if I use their terms for a "thing". Jun 16, 2014 at 23:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.