Is there any evidence which shows whether users are more able to recognise another user's Photo over their Username or vice versa?
I am interested in understanding this from a usability perspective.
Lets say on a site such as this network, a user has both a username as well as a photo/avatar.
- On Sci-Fi.se DVK has a very recognisable avatar
- On StackOverflow.se Jon Skeet has a very memorable username
Which of these is more recognisable/memorable?1
i.e. If DVK was to change his picture2, would this throw users off (not quickly recognising who the post if from) or would there be more of an issue if Jon Skeet changed his username?3
1. Lets ignore rep points, as it is not relevant to my question.
2. The caveat here is that 'DVK' is also a memorable username, but for the sake of this example lets ignore that.
3. Please reference research where possible.