Website in.mobile.reuters

I stumbled upon this great browsing experience on reuters mobile site. It uses hovering menu, when clicked opens up a number of other tools such as search, share, font, etc. I was wondering what it is called or is it built by Reuters for their own website or it is available from a third party.

  • Reminds me most of the Windows 8 charm bar, though I know it's not unique. Not sure if "charm bar" is accepted as a universal term though
    – Ben Brocka
    Commented Jun 5, 2014 at 18:05
  • If you are looking to implement such a feature, and trying to figure out what to search further on, that would not be something we can generally help you with. If you are wondering from a UX point of view - why does it matter what it is called, as long as it is the right tool for the right job. Commented Jun 6, 2014 at 0:07
  • 1
    @EvilClosetMonkey If you want to refer to something, it's significantly easier if there is a commonly used name for it than to have to describe it every time.
    – JohnGB
    Commented Jun 6, 2014 at 0:15
  • 1
    @JohnGB, I'm not going to disagree with it being nice to know the name. It isn't a UX issue though. Commented Jun 6, 2014 at 3:47
  • I actually have never seen something like this for mobile website so was wondering if I missed out on something. Also, having a commonly known term for such type of tool would be beneficial for having dialogues. As slaterjohn pointed out an example called flyout menu, I think we use that
    – MaxTwang
    Commented Jun 6, 2014 at 20:31

1 Answer 1


I'd imagine their solution is a custom built solution but it doesn't look dissimilar to Path's Flyout menu.

A good Javascript example for this can be found on Codepen here.

Path call it a Flyout menu and they were the first people i saw using this on their iOS app so if it's not the official name it should be.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.