enter image description here

Do it have any name to call this little thing?

  • if its changing images some call it a carousel. If it's an area for a large static image it's often called a hero photo. But in my experience it tends to be more descriptive relative to the design- the "primary", "first", "top", but YMMV.
    – Mayo
    Commented Jun 16, 2020 at 13:46
  • Also can you be a bit clearer about what you're referring to? I assumed that you were pointing to the image.
    – Mayo
    Commented Jun 16, 2020 at 13:47

2 Answers 2


it's a status bar. it's not specific to osx, all browsers have one.

it used to show the url of hovered links, status of requests, etc and then some add-ons/plugins started using it to show information.

Recently it's been reduced to a something like a tooltip in most browsers (it only appears on mouse over links or when something is loading, etc).


This is a status bar.

In Cocoa programming you can create this by adding a custom view on the bottom of a window and using a text field to show information as required.

Note that in OS X programming, the "Status Bar" (class NSStatusBar) refers to the the rightmost portion of the system-wide menu bar, with all the little icons, the clock, spotlight and so on. User-facing copy however uses "Status Bar" as a term for a horizontal area on the bottom of windows that contains auxiliary information (e.g. link URLs in Safari, or item counts and sizes in the Finder).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.