This question may sounds weird but I was wondering myslelf if the two sections at the left and the right of an UI had a special name (like header or footer for the top and the bottom parts).


download bmml source – Wireframes created with Balsamiq Mockups

I think about "banners" but it doesn't sound specific to the left/rigth positioning. Do you know what's the name of these elements ?

  • 1
    Left-hand column / Right-hand column? – JonW Apr 30 '14 at 11:51

I have always seen those referred to as left or right sidebars, but I don't think there's necessarily a standard name for them like there is for header and footer.

| improve this answer | |
  • They were always called sidebars and nowadays you have the <aside> Tag which makes sense – Mathijs Segers May 1 '14 at 11:36
  • 2
    It's my understanding that the <aside> tag has nothing to do with sidebars- it's more meant to be a side note within an article. – Leslie P. Apr 13 '16 at 13:35

It used to be called as sidebars and still is by some graphic/web designers, but nowadays people calling them more technically as "aside" and I guess that could be due to HTML5... not sure! Hope it helps

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.