I have seen this control used in a number of apps, but I do not know a formal name for it and any of my attempts to search for it are failing because of a lack of a concise way to describe it. I have seen it used as type of non-linear navigation control, but I suppose it could be linear. Its nodes can indicate a certain status, such as 'Complete'.

enter image description here

Is there a formal name for this control? If so, what is it?


It's a discrete (separate; distinct; individual) progress bar, in contrast to the more common continuos (without break, cessation, or interruption).

How to deal with variable number of steps in discrete progress bar?

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Thank you for the link. That was interesting and helpful. – Isaiah Nelson Mar 12 '14 at 15:30

It's a type of progress bar that shows you where you are in the completion of a flow.

| improve this answer | |

It's a flow bar - some applications allow the user to click on the individual steps/nodes but many just use it to indicate the flow of the process (like in a Wizard)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.