So you know how if you right click on your desktop, the menu will appear either at the top-left, top-right, bottom-left, bottom-right depending on where your cursor is on the page? (<select> elements do the same.)

Is there a name for that?

1 Answer 1


The menu you're talking about is a contextual menu. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Context_menu

I believe the type of positioning you're talking about is called relative positioning

  • 1
    I think I will call it "Relative Displacement". :) Thanks for the article!
    – Rick Bross
    Dec 6, 2013 at 14:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.