What are the dots used for horizontal scrolling called? These light up to show what screen the user is on.

enter image description here

  • Not sure why this got voted down. It is a straight forward question with a range of demonstrable concrete answers. Is that the problem? Is it not subjective enough for UX? +1 for equilibrium.
    – Gusdor
    Commented Oct 22, 2013 at 12:39
  • 2
    @Gusdor The downvote item itself (on the tooltip) states that the reason for downvoting would be "..does not show any research effort" which this question does not, so it is likely that is the reason for the downvote. Also, there is no examples of where this is used, what purpose they OP has for asking it. It's just a one-liner where somewhere like Google should be the first port of call.
    – JonW
    Commented Oct 22, 2013 at 12:42
  • 1
    @JonW I can accept that.
    – Gusdor
    Commented Oct 22, 2013 at 12:48
  • This isn't really specific to android. Most web sites have page indicators similar to this (with numbers instead of circles) and this specific picture is from iOS (first result I found for page indicator in image search). Commented Oct 22, 2013 at 15:58
  • @DannyVarod you're right. actually these dots are not "android-ish" at all! Check the design guide - you won't find them.
    – Lovis
    Commented Oct 22, 2013 at 16:07

3 Answers 3


Most of the developers in my company referred it as "android pagination indicator" or "Page Indicator"

you can see some example over here:



you can also check some android patterns over here: http://www.androidpatterns.com/uap_pattern/horizontal-scrolling-page-indicators

  • Thanks for all the help.Actually, I new to the world of user interface.
    – user36511
    Commented Oct 23, 2013 at 3:39

I'm not sure if they have a formal name but I would refer to these as page indicators.

You can compare this to a tabbed view quite nicely (the difference is that you navigate by swiping). If you are using this idiom, the dots are now the tab headers.

  • "page indicator" seems to be a commonly used term for this: google.com/… Commented Oct 22, 2013 at 12:56

I would refer to these as "pagination buttons". The content is paginated, and these are buttons which can be used to move between each page. These usually (but not always) have an active state when the page they link to is the currently visible page.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.