I am working on a application, for which I intend to suggest the use of a feature similar to what is used on most smartphones' keyboards to select special characters:

enter image description here

However, while it is easy to explain face-to-face, I feel that my report should have a better name for it than "that thing on your iPhone where you press a letter and other letters appear".

Is there a standard name for this feature?

2 Answers 2


How about 'Special character selector' or 'Alternate character grid'?

When in doubt, just say 'the thingy you use to make letters like ę and ū show up.'


It's an accented character selection, which is needed for most latin character based languages. English is pretty unique in it's lack of accents (with the exception of adopted words).

So I would just refer to it as:

Accented character selector


Accented character overlay

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.