My team and I are developing a search box which will allow for more than just searching. The goal is to allow users to do not only complex queries, but also use the box for go-tos and some calculations. For example:
- new request (would go to the new request page)
- super nintendos (find all super nintendos)
- John Smith (search for people named John Smith)
- John Smith in building 3124 (people named John Smith in building 3124)
- property owned by John Smith in building 3124 (I think you get the idea)
- 188.8.131.52/24 (show the ips for the subnet for the mask)
Think Google's search but dumbed down and specific to a web application. Internally we are referring to it as omni search as it feels like something more than "advanced" search. Is there a name for this type of search? Are we following a particular design pattern without knowing its name?