Working on a feed driven iOS application and wondering peoples thoughts on Tab Bar driven iOS design for feed based apps. There is a large amount of evidence that supports the well integrated use of both main styles of iOS navigation - Hamburger/Flyout Nav and Tab Bar Nav.
Benefits of Hamburger Nav
- Great for when there are more that 5 "main" views
- Persistent top nav stays out of the way
- Navigation can stay consistant between iOS and Android apps
- e.g. Foursquare 6.0, Facebook, Path
Benefits of Tab Bar Nav
- Makes interacting with the screens more "exploratory"
- Puts the nav in an area that's perhaps more usually obstructed by your thumb
- e.g. Twitter, Instagram
This isn't is a bit more of a subjective question because I don't know if there is entirely a "correct" answer as both navigation styles have done well in the iOS world.
But, what are your thoughts on which is better for the user? If it's a feed based, vertical scrolling as the primary interaction - Do you think a Tab Bar or a persistent navbar with a flyout makes more sense for navigation?