What would you call the UI element that allows a user to add and remove elements from a collection as the favourite / ignored tags widget on the homepage of any stack exchange site does?

enter image description here


4 Answers 4


In both MooTools' and jQuery's userspace, this is called 'TextboxList', so it is very reasonable to use that name.


I would call it a list or tag builder.


Textboxlist seems to be the most common name, although I find the following names a bit better, clearer:

  • TagListBox
  • LabelListBox

I see it as 2 entities, the top one being the tag list, which the current tags and the bottom one being the Tag(input) box.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.